The all-new iPhone X enables new user experiences from unlocking your phone with the new Face ID to playing AR games and sharing Animoji in messages. In this post we will see in detail about various features of iPhone X.
– It has an all screen display that follows the curve of the device to rounded corners.
– Apple claims that all glass (front and back) feature is the most durable glass ever in any smartphone.
Super Retina Display:
– The HDR (High Dynamic Range) display supports Dolby vision and HDR10 which include True Tone which means it can dynamically white balance the display to match the surrounding environment for a more natural viewing experience.
– iOS 11 is redesigned to take the full advantage of the super retina display and it replaces the home button. Users can now simply swipe up from the bottom to go home from anywhere.
Face ID, a new System to Unlock:
– Apple claims to have revolutionised authentication system with the new iPhone X, by using True Depth Camera system made up of dot projector, infrared camera and flood illuminator.
– These features are powered by the A11 Bionic chip, which maps and recognises a face.
– Apple’s Face ID projects more than 30,000 invisible IR dots. The IR image and dot pattern are pushed through neural networks to create a mathematical model of your face and send the data to the secure enclave to confirm a match while adapting to physical changes in appearance over time.
– Regarding its security, it is protected by the secure enclave to keep data secure, while all the processing is done on-device and not in the cloud to protect user privacy.
– Face ID only unlocks iPhone X when customers look at it and are designed to prevent spoofing by photos or masks.
Augmented Reality Experiences:
– The cameras on iPhone X is customised for AR experiences. With ARKit, iOS developers can take advantage of the TrueDepth camera and rear cameras to create games and apps which offers immersive and fluidic experiences that go far beyond the screen.
– The new camera also delivers better video stabilisation, 4K video up to 60fps and 1080p slo-mo up to 240fps. The Apple-designed video encoder provides real-time image and motion analysis for optimal quality video.
Animoji – a dynamic form of Emojis:
– The TrueDepth camera brings emoji to life in a way that Apple calls it “Animoji”. Working with A11 Bionic, the TrueDepth camera captures and analyses various facial muscle movements, then animates those expressions in a dozen different Animoji characters, including a panda, unicorn and more
A11 Bionic chip:
– Apple introduced the new A11 Bionic chip which features a six-core CPU design with two performance cores that are claimed to be 25% faster than previous models of iPhone. And four efficiency core that is claimed to be 70% faster than previous A10 Fusion chip.
– Apple also noted that the new A11 Bionic neural engine has a dual-core design and performs up to 600 billion operations per second for processing. This is designed specifically for machine learning algorithms and enables Face ID, Animoji and other features.
– The glass back design enables a wireless charging solution. Apple gave a sneak peek of AirPower, an Apple-designed wireless charging accessory coming in 2018, which offers an active charging area that will allow iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X customers to simultaneously charge up to three devices, including Apple Watch Series 3 and a new optional wireless charging case for AirPods.
What new for developers
– Length of the screen is increased by 20% so the aspect ratio has to be changed.
– Have to avoid explicitly placing interactive controls like a call for action buttons at the very bottom or any corner of the screen.
– Since people will use swipe gesture at the bottom edge to access the home screen, these gestures may cancel custom actions implemented in these areas.
– Also, controls placed in the far corners of the screen would be difficult for the user to reach in.
– Don’t attempt to hide the device’s rounded corners, sensor housing (the notch) by placing the black bar in top or bottom of the screen.
Thus we have seen an overview of the features of the all-new iPhone X. Also, we have seen a brief not the points to ponder by the developers due to the changes introduced. We will see you in another interesting topic in upcoming weeks.
PS: Image credits – Appleinsider.com, expertreviews.co.uk